Installing Palmetto Soft Leaf Buffalo Turf
The last thing you'd want to do is have to tear up your new lawn and start again so here are 9 steps to help you lay your new Palmetto Buffalo Lawn properly the first time...
- Remove all building waste & weeds
- Spread a free draining soil to a depth of 7-15cm (roots can penetrate much deeper) or loosen ground and mix in appropriate soil conditioners. Phone your supplier for more advice on this option. For sandy soils, simply mix in organic material and rotary hoe.
- Level the surface using a screeding board, lawn leveller or similar device.
- In hot months, moisten the soil but do not make the soil too wet. Do not lay turf on hot, dry soil.
- Lay the Palmetto Buffalo Grass as soon as possible after delivery.
- On hot days, lay a section of buffalo grass and lightly water. Repeat until all buffalo grass is laid. On cool days, turf can be laid all at once. Roll and water thoroughly within one hour of laying turf.
- Water thoroughly for 7-10 days or until turf is established take care that the water is saturating the soil beneath the turf. In colder months, the turf will take longer to establish. The turf should not dry out until roots are established.
- When the soil has firmed and the Palmetto Buffalo Grass has rooted down, usually 2-3 weeks after laying (longer during winter), mow lightly to tidy up the lawn.